Easy Stuffed Cajun Chicken
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
• 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
• 4 oz cheese, shredded (you can use up to 6 oz) I used mozzarella and havarti jalepeno cheese
• 1 c frozen spinach, thawed and drained (you can also use fresh cooked spinach)
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 2 tbsp Cajun seasoning – I bought mine from William Sonoma
• 1 tbsp breadcrumbs (I use the regular kind but the italian one is better)
• Sea salt, to taste
• Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• Lots of toothpicks
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Flatten the chicken to 1/4-inch thickness.
In a medium bowl, combine the cheese, spinach, salt and pepper.
Combine the Cajun seasoning and breadcrumbs together in a small bowl.
Spoon about 1/4 c of the spinach mixture onto each chicken breast. Roll each chicken breast tightly and fasten the seams with several toothpicks. I typically use about 8 toothpicks in each roll to ensure none of the filling seeps out. Be sure to count how many total toothpicks were used.
Brush each chicken breast with the olive oil. Sprinkle the Cajun seasoning mixture evenly over all. Sprinkle any remaining spinach and cheese on top of chicken (optional).
Place the chicken seam-side down onto a tin foil-lined baking sheet (for easy cleanup). Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
Remove the toothpicks before serving. Count to make sure you have removed every last toothpick. I topped the stuffed chicken with saffron sauce. If you’d like the recipe for saffron sauce please leave a comment below.