When brunch comes to mind, I usually envision a cute restaurant, possibly parisian themed with a whole list of items to choose from. When I go for a brunch I like to eat healthy but also enjoy a dessert. Most restaurants know people like me will want this and offer separate options for healthy and dessert items. Makes sense. However, if I’m making my own brunch at home, it’s a whole other ball game. This is why for one of my brunch items I’ve chosen to do a French toast roll with Nutella and strawberries.
When hosting a brunch at home, here are some tips on what you’ll want to do:
- Invite your guests
- Create your menu well in advance so you have time to gather or check what items you’ll need
- Put together a juice station (prep the night before for certain mixes like Sangria’s)
- Match number of guests to tableware. If I had a quarter for every time I mis-counted how many people were coming, I’d be a billionaire! Make sure you have your choice of cutlery, serving plates, bow tie charms (see image below) for identifying your guests’ drinks etc.
- If planning to use decor or a theme, keep it simple with matching tableware or paper balls/medallions for your walls
Simply Simple Sangria
My favourite thing about Sangria’s is the colourful combination of fruit. Not only does it taste amazing, but it looks pretty too! Most Sangria recipes call for slices of lemon, however I chose to add my favourite lemonade by Simply Orange instead and their new Simply Orange with coconut water.
- 1 apple cored and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup Strawberries sliced
- Orange slices (optional)
- 1/2 cup Blueberries
- 1/2 cup Blackberries
- Clementine, peeled into pieces
- 1/2 cup Simply Orange Lemonade
- 1/3 cup Simply Orange Lemonade with Raspberry
- 1/3 cup Simply Orange Coconut Water
In a large pitcher combine all ingredients. Refrigerate for as many hours as possible, preferably overnight.
Rolled French Toast
- Whole wheat bread
- Powder sugar
Mix eggs and cinnamon in a flat deep bowl.
I didn’t mention how many slices of bread, eggs or cinnamon you’ll need because that would differ based on how many guests you’re making this for. Now take one slice of bread and flatten the edges with your fingers. Spread Nutella and place strawberries on one end of the Nutella side. Roll the bread. Place bread into the egg mix. Make sure it’s all covered. Place it in a buttered pan on low-medium heat. Turn rolled bread to each side until it is golden brown. Place in plate and finish with powdered sugar on top.
- Rolled or Quick Oats
- 1/4 cup mashed banana
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Cinnamon (as desired)
- Fruit of choice for garnish or taste
This recipe makes 6 muffin cups. Butter the cups and set aside.
Mix together the honey, banana and vanilla.
In a separate bowl mix together the oats, cinnamon and salt. Combine both mixes together.
Press the mixture into the cups.
Refrigerate for an hour or more so that they’re not crumbling. You want the mixture to stick to the walls of the muffin cups. Preheat oven to 330F and bake for 15 mins. Once baked, let the cups cool down for a bit before removing them from the muffin tray or molds. Once removed, add yogurt and garnish.
What do you love having for brunch?